Yesterday, the NC General Assembly passed the Hurricane Florence Supplemental Act (SB 823) which included $240 million for the NCDA Ag Disaster Program. The bill was passed unanimously by both chambers and is now on its way to Governor Cooper’s desk for final approval.
Farmers with damage from Tropical Storm Michael may also be eligible for disaster assistance from the Hurricane Florence Agricultural Disaster Program of 2018. The seven additional counties pending a federal disaster declaration include: Avery, Vance, Wake, Warren, Washington, Watauga and Yadkin counties. With this addition, 61 of the state’s 100 counties would have received either a primary Presidential or Secretarial-disaster declaration.
Two Weeks Left to Sign-up!
So far there has been a low number of sign-ups for the program. If you have not signed up yet make sure you do so before December 10th. Applications can be found online at https://www.ncagr.gov/agriculturaldisasterprogram/# and you can call NCDA’s hotline for assistance at 1-866-645-9403.
On October 15, 2018, the NC General Assembly established the Hurricane Florence Agricultural Disaster Program of 2018. This program is a one-time assistance program from producers who had losses occurred during the storm. The program will be administered by the NC Department of Agriculture.
Applications must be submitted from November 7th to December 10th, 2018 to receive assistance.
The program has been established by the NC General Assembly however, the assistance will be dependent upon appropriation of funding from the Assembly in November.
To apply for the assistance you will need to fill out an online application and submit the appropriate forms listed below. If you have questions about this program or if you qualify, please contact your local county extension office or your local Farm Service Agency office.
Below is the information that is required for the application:
- Farmers who experienced a verifiable crop or livestock loss because of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Florence, and its remnants located in an NC county that is, or becomes, a Presidentially-Declared or Secretarial- Declared or a Presidential FEMA declared disaster county.
- Commodities planted on or before Sept. 13, 2018 (but not harvested), or aquaculture being raised on or before Sept. 13, 2018.
- Livestock/poultry producers who qualify for and have received payment from the USDA Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP).
Producers will need the following to complete the form:
- A Form 578 on file with the USDA Farm Service Agency for USDA reported crops.
- For crops not reported on FSA Form 578, a summary of loss with map and physical address of crops.
- For livestock/poultry loss, a copy of payment or registration of loss for USDA LIP.
- Completed W-9 for producer SSN/EIN.
Farmer Disaster Assistance Webinar: