The majority of farmers today are using data to make management decisions on their farms and most are using some type of digital tool to assist with that process. But, there are still many who have not fully integrated all facets of the technology into their operation. A big factor in this is that it is sometimes tough to know where to begin.
If you are ready to explore data management software, here are some things to keep in mind before you being the process:
- Know what you want to accomplish. Is it record-keeping for regulatory purposes or are you looking to improve crop management? If you know what you want the software to do, it is easier to find the best platform to help you get there. Start with a list of two or three goals.
- Do your homework. Explore capabilities and build lists of questions to use when talking with representatives about various software offerings.
- Talk it out. Get everyone in your operation on board with using it or it will not be successful.
- Ensure you’ll have product support. Make sure you have good support from the product you choose based your specific needs.
- Try it out. Ask the developer of the program you’re most interested in for a trial or try a free online platform first, then move to more advanced programs or upgrade from the free version.
To learn more about how to explore which data management software is right for you CLICK HERE for this article from USB, the second in a series about Avoiding the Software Conundrum.